Thursday, January 3, 2013

Now I'm a Veteran!


At the end of another three weeks, I must yeat again part with a group of missionaries. The Latinos, like always, but this time the group of Americans whom we have overlapped six weeks with.  They departed for their missions yesterday.  Parting is never easy, but when you know it's for the best cause, you can be patient.  Me, too.  Even if it means I won't see them for at least two years, especially because I never plan on attending BYU!  One of the Elders that just left, Elder Myers, said that he recognized me from when I went to EFY in Rexburg, Idaho back in 2010.  He said that he remembered that I was "the guy that everybody knew!"  It's kind of funny how I'm from North Carolina (the greatest place on earth), he's from Arkansas (don't even get me started), yet the only two times we have been together were in Idaho and Buenos Aires, Argentina.

We said goodbye to our two Latino roommates again, Elders Marín and Goncalvez.  Being in the CCM really makes you appreciate seeing young men and women willing to give up their livers for two years in service.  I'm so grateful to have known all of these wonderful people.  I'm also super grateful that I get to play soccer with them!  Because every day, soccer becomes more and more fun for me.  What started off as a burden (and frankly a joke) has now become an amazingly enjoyable sport for me, which I look forward to every day!  How about that?  Daniel Plautz?  Playing sports? Like, ones where you have to exercise?  And DO stuff?  Even though I'm not really horrible at sports, I have hever really enjoyred playing them until soccer in Argentina!  Against Latinos who are eons ahead of me in skill! (Sometimes I see five-year-old children playing and they're way better than I am.) I guess that's what happens when I'm forced to play it for an hour every day.

Proselyting day was once again amazing.  After a mildly successful afternoon in Banfield, Buenos Aires we were heading back to the bus stop and on the way, we passed a house where a lady was cleaning her drivedway.  We simply asked her if she would have liked to hear a message about Jesus Christ and fifteen minutes later, she had finished telling us her incredibly difficult, incredibly personal life story.  She told us that she was just looking for peace.  I felt inspired to ask several questions, some of which Elder Pointer asked before I could, which reassured me that we were both being inspired by the Spirit.  Now let me state a fact: everybody has problems.  

Something I have learned: reading the Book of Mormon can literally solve them. Before my mission, I would alwasy be timid to share a scriputre from the Book of Mormon to a person who had never heard of it before.  But the Book of Mormon carries the Spirit of God.  If someone has an ear to listen, they WILL hear the still, small voice whispering to them while reading it, bearing testimoy of truth, regardless of whther or not they know what the Book of Mormon is or is about.  I, having no idea why this scriputre popped into my head, but also knowing both what it was about and that I had to share it, had her read Ether 12:6.  The scripture talks about faith, "dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith," I believe it says.  

By her contemplative look, I could tell that reading this scripture had caused some introspection.  I told her that we were here for a reason and asked her what she thought the reason was, to which she replied "because God sends angels."  She told us that she would attend church (and bring her children) the next day and look for missionaries like us.  She also wanted to read the Book of Mormon.  The Spirit was incredible and we were about to leave for fear of missing our bus, but I couldn't go without offering a prayer.  It's amazing how a simple prayer can have such a powerful effect.  I didn't say anything that I felt was out of the ordinary, nor could I have with my limited knowledge of this language, but I do know that prayer in faith produces results for those who are looking for answers.  

Her desire for peace was met, at least for a brief moment, when I closed my prayer and she looked up with tearful eyes of gratitude, thanking us profusely for our help.  This is the reason I am here.  God is changing lives and I am witnessing it as His vessel to carry the Spirit.  Missionary work is the most gratifying work there is!

I'll get my Latino companion on Monday!  This six weeks has come and gone so quickly and I can't wait to learn to soley communicate in Español.  Which, by the way, is still coming along at an accelerated rate.  The Lord is blessing me because of my faith.  To learn as much as I have in six weeks just isn't possible without the help of the Lord.  

For anybody sending mail, cease sending it to the CCM address and begin sending it to Uruguay because it takes about three weeks to get here from the United States and I would prefer to wait a few more days if it lands in Uruguay before I get there rather than having to wait a few more weeks because it has to be forwarded.  I appreciate mail from all who send it!!  I pray that all of you continue in (or begin) your faith!  I hope it's cold enough in North Carolina; it feels like the beginning of July here!  I must now go and serve the beloved children of God.

LOVE,
Elder Plautz


Me, Elder Pointer, Elder Parker

Me with el Presidente y la Hermana Openshaw

Elders, Marín, Pointer, me, Goncalvez, y Parker

The Buenos Aires Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment