Monday, April 15, 2013

Ciao Elder Sevilla. Hola Elder Teran!

Dear everyone,

We worked incredibly hard this week.  Like, we did a ton!  Of work.  Not like just work.  Like WORK-work.  Like the kind that makes your feet hurt and your brain tired.  And I feel spectacular!  We finally helped Honorio put a date on his baptism!  He is super solid.  Because of complicated marriage papers and stuff like that, the earliest he can receive a DATE for his fast wedding is the second week of May.  But he said "if I can get married on the 10th of May, then I'll be baptized on the 11th."  He is such a wonderful example to me of faith.  He wants his whole family to be baptized, but knows that as the father, he has to set the example.  We're gonna make sure that he always has support from the missionaries.

On Wednesday morning, I had to say goodbye to my trainer, Elder Sevilla.  There's a bus that specifically picks up the misisonaries on the day of changes, so we both rode the bus to Maldonado City, where I was dropped off to work for the day with another Elder, and I said goodbye to Elder Sevilla.  Don't worry, there were no tears.  That evening, I was greeted by my new companion!  Elder Teran from Mexico!  My companion is a Mexican!  I was super stoked to find out that I would be with another Latino, becuase my Spanish always has plenty room for improvement.  He speaks English, but we agreed at the beginning that we would never speak English with each other. He is a great, wonderful Elder and we went to work.  We started teaching a ton of people, but we are still searching for the elect and chosen of God who are ready to hear and accept this message of happiness.

Many people wonder what I eat for food here, or even if I eat.  I do, in fact, eat.  If I didn't then I would probably die, I think.  You'd have to ask a doctor about that.  And the members here are amazing.  They feed us almost every day.  (The key to a good missionary-member relationship is returning the tupperware.  That is the truth.)  


I eat a lot of rice with tomatoes, peas, and mayonase.  The Uruguayos LOVE mayonase.  They put it on everything.  Because Elder Sevilla was leaving, a ton of members made us Azado with Churizo.  Azado is the huge chunk of beef that is fused with a lot of fat, but really expensive azado doesn't have as much fat (and Honorio got really expensive azado).  Churizo is sausage.  And it's super good.  

Other than this, we eat a lot of Milonesa, which is like a filet, whether it be of fish, or much more common, of chicken.  I love the food they eat here.  And also!  We eat a lot of Guiso, which is stew.  But they don't have problems with leaving bones, or bits of bones in their food, so I gotta watch out!  Dessert is usually fruit, like peaches or bananas.  But sometimes, they bring out DULCE DE LECHE!  Seriously, I don't know why there isn't dulce de leche in America.  It's a really sweet spread that is a little bit like caramel.  And it's amazing.  I am going to sell it when I come back and be a millionaire.
(editors note:  I told Elder Plautz that we most certainly have Dulce de Leche in the US.)

I love the work!  And I love these people.  The Latin culture is super different, but it's a good different.  I am in love with my life as a missionary.  I'll continue to work as hard as humanly possible to complete the will of God.  That is the easiest way to be happy, in or outside of the mission.   I love you all!  Be missionaries!  I must now go and serve the beloved children of God!

LOVE,

Elder Plautz

No comments:

Post a Comment