Monday, April 29, 2013

An eight-year-old Uruguayo boy told me that Shaq died and I don't know if I should belive him or not...

Dear Everyone!
 
What is the secret to missionary work?  That's just it.  WORK.  And that is what we did last week.  We take every opportunity to find and teach people.  It's the most busy I have ever been in my life.  Honorio told us that his Señora Ana had agreed to start talking to us again, and then he followed that with "and she wants to get baptized, too."  I didn't jump the gun, and I think he may have been exaggerating a little bit... or completely because when we met with them both, she was the same.  Her heart is still closed and she will not accept the idea that there is a life after this one.  For those of you just joining us, Ana lost her five-year-old son a little over a year ago and although she says she believes in God, it is evident that much of her hope has been lost, leaving her to be a very angry person.  Nevertheless, her and Honorio seem to be happy together, so the have finally gotten a date: the 7th of June!  So that is what we're helping him work toward.  He told us in church yesterday "if I could get baptized today, then I would definitely do it."  Too bad it takes loads of time and papers to get married in San Carlos.  But he is doing everything he can, so the Lord is blessing him.  Honorio has more faith than Elder Teran and I put together.  He is such and example to me.
 
We also restarted teaching a lady named Mirta again last week.  She was an old investigator from, like, six years ago, who couldn't get baptized because she worked every Sunday and wouldn't give it up.  Now she nurses an older member of the church.  We didn't really think that this member, named Juan, was completely there when it came to his mind.  All he ever did was say hi to us and sit in his wheel chair.  Elder Sevilla and I were teaching her a month and a little bit ago, but she had to prepare things on Sunday during church so Juan could come back and go about his routine, which still prevented her from coming to church.  Because she wouldn't progress, and on top of that she is a very pessimistic person, (not pessimistic like a mean pessimist who says no to everything; rather she is SUPER DUPER nice and smiley and friendly, but doesn't have too much hope that her life can be a happier one,) we stopped teaching her.  One Sunday, Juan came up to us in his wheel chair and said "I heard you were teaching Mirta, my nurse.  And she couldn't come to church because she had to take care of things for my return every Sunday.  I'm going to fix her schedule in order that she comes to church."  That was the first thing that Juan had ever said to us in the first three months that we knew him that was more than "Hola."  What a boss.  She started coming to church with Juan, so we have begun teaching her again.  But she is still pretty pessimistic.  So we're gonna have to find a way to open her heart.
 
We have been seeing so many more miracles of less-actives coming back to church after talking to them and teaching them.  One of them, named Brother Tort, we have been inviting to church for over three months (his wife and two children are active, but he isn't), and for the first week, after two well-prepared and spiritually-inspired meetings this week, we saw him in the chapel.  That was one of the biggest miracles ever.  I love this work and I testify that the work of the missionary is the most satisfying work that there is.  I wouldn't trade this life for the work, no matter how many times I have to walk through the pouring rain, or how many people yell at me, slam doors in my face, send their dogs after me, throw rocks at me, or how many dogs bite me, or whatever else this Uruguayo world throws at me.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Because this Gospel is true.  The church of God is restored.  We have a living prophet with the Priesthood authority of God.  And I am here to spread this gospel and find those who are ready to receive it.  I love Uruguay and I love this life!  I must now go and serve the beloved children of God.
 
LOVE,
Elder Plautz

No comments:

Post a Comment