Monday, June 24, 2013

In LDS.org there's a new page called "Hastening the Work of Salvation."

Dear Everyone,

Feel like member-missionary work is a little bit difficult? You aren't alone.  But yesterday we watched this amazing broadcast and heard from speakers Jeffrey R. Holland, Russel M. Nelson, Boyd K. Packer, Neil L. Anderson, L. Tom Perry, and our beloved prophet Thomas S. Monson.  All of them talked about the same focus, that the time to come together to work in the field (which is white and all ready to harvest) as members and missionaries is now.  Elder Holland promised us that an invitation (to church or an activity or something like that) borne out of love for the Savior and for the people who we are inviting will never offend.  Take him up on that promise.  Elder Nelson shared with us a parable of a father who loves his children enough to check on them and think about what he can do to help them.  He as a father doesn't do this out of obligation or because some manual tells him to, rather he does it out of love.  That should be our motive to share the Gospel.  On LDS.org there is a new page called "Hastening the Work of Salvation" that helps members find more meaningful ways to share the Gospel and help the missionaries have people to teach.  You all may wonder why I always come out and preach about missionary work in my letters.  It is because of just how important I know missionary work to be.  It is so important.  And I am willing to remind all of you again and again of the blessings that will come to those who hearken to the words of President David O. McKay: "every member a missionary."  

This week has been filled with meetings.  I had to say goodbye to President Armstrong and his wife. I have never been a huge fan of goodbyes.  Even though my mission president won't be leaving until near the end of the next month, I won't be seeing him in person any time before then.  I'll just be working.  Florida is getting colder.  I feel like I forget what cold is like every year as I go through the summer.  And then once it comes I am amazed when the temperature goes further and further down.  Plus I never understood Celsius temperature measurement.  (No matter how many times they explain it to me, I always forget, like, five minutes afterward.)  So I just look at the thermometer like I would look at my old Calculus notes and stand conquered by the fear of the unknown.  Do you know how much scarier temperature is when you have no way of measuring it.  And none of the people here pay attention to the weather!  So I never know if it'll rain!  Needless to say, I am basically a saint.  End of story.

I admit that I do love learning the language of my companion Elder Gila, Bislama.  The vocabulary words are almost all English, but grammar words are all different.  They use the words "long" and "blong" a lot.  And just listening to him speak is a treasure.  I think I'll learn this language, too.  Why not?  It's pretty excellent.
 Unfortunately, I don't have much more to say today other than we're working harder and harder every day.  And this is the most amazing experience of my life.  Have you ever read the Liahona magazine before? (I guess you Americans call it the Ensign.)  It's incredible!  I love you all and thank you for all of your support and prayers.  I know that when we do our best and we work our hardest, the Lord will not let us faith, according to His will.  And when we are on the Lord's errand, we are entitled to his will.  I must now go and serve the beloved children of God.

LOVE,
Elder Plautz

 
This first picture is pretty amazing. If I could fly, I would fly with a copy of the Book of Mormón in my hand and declare repentance to everybody. (With love; this picture seems more frightening than loving.)

The second picture is me with Elder Gila. He's my Turk Turkleton. (Except for Devin Bodhaine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment