Monday, June 10, 2013

Sometimes I forget that there was a life before my mission.

Dear Everyone,

First of all, I learned today that back in San Carlos this past Saturday, Honorio Soriano entered the waters of baptism.  And he is now a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I can't express how happy that makes me to know that he finally got there after all of his hard work.  I really love that guy.

I have been learning more and more that the more that we learn, the more there is that is expected of us.  I have been learning a lot in Florida about how much I not only depend on the Lord for every single blessing, but also that He also expects me to give myself to Him.  Everything.  That's not easy.  It has been really tough realizing that there are still things that I do that I know I must change, even if they aren't really that bad or if they are little things.  But I am willing to be more obedient to show the Lord that I am willing to give my whole self to Him.  I know that he that loses his life for the Lord gains everything.  But that doesn't mean dying the death of a martyr.  It means living the live of a disciple.  And it's not super easy to start off.  But I know that once I get the wheels in motion, even more blessings will come.  

The mission is changing.  Last week, we found out that because of severe health complications of the mission president's wife, Sister Armstrong, they are both being released from this mission at the end of July and that we'll be getting a new mission president, Gary Newsome.  None of us saw this coming because President Armstrong was just called as mission president last July and mission presidents serve for three years.  But just like that, he will be moved to some other calling in the church. (I think they're going to Utah.)

I love doing this work.  I know that I say it every week, but it becomes more and more true as I forget myself more and more.  It's true that sometimes I forget about my life before my mission.  It's not that I choose to!  It just... happens.  I don't forget the people that I love like my family and friends, but I just forget about life.  It's a bit difficult to explain.  Other missionaries would know what I mean.  Either way, I am truly enjoying myself in the wonderful country of Uruguay.  This branch, the Piedra Alta branch, is full of some of the most amazing people I have ever met in my life.  Growing up in the church in English and in America made it difficult to imagine such amazing testimonies in other cultures.  But the church is true everywhere.  And those who recognize it and live it are really blessed.  I have seen it with my own eyes.  I have seen the stark contrast between the desperate, obscure, directionless life of sin and the tranquil, bright, purposeful life of righteousness.  Truly wickedness never was happiness.  I will do my best to help all understand this.  I must now go and serve the beloved children of God.

LOVE,
Elder Plautz

No comments:

Post a Comment