Monday, August 19, 2013

Hello Lomas de Solymar

Dear Everyone,

We really didn't expect that changes call last week, but here I am in Canelones, Uruguay, right next to Montevideo!  The ward I have moved into is amazing.  I am in the Lomas de Solymar ward in the zone La Costa.  We're right on the beach, although I haven't seen it yet.  The members are wonderful.  They are super excited to work with us in missionary work and even the young men want to leave with the missionaries to see what the mission experience is like.  This is going to be a fantastic change.  My companion is named Elder Green.  Which state is he from?  Trick question!  He is from Peru!  His grandfather is American and so the very american name that he has continues until his generation, even though he doesn't know any English and his accent is super Peruvian.  He is a super old missionary.  Like, super old.  Like, tomorrow he completes two whole months on his mission.  He is actually still an oro, as in I am completing his training and he couldn't be happier.  Evidently, he and his trainer didn't get along in any sort of way.  So he refuses to call his trainer his father and instists that I am his real trainer.  So, I adopted him.  And now I am a father.  Would you look at that!  Elder Sevilla is a grandfather!  I am super stoked because this area has amazing potential.  Elder Green is a hard worker and so far we have gotten along excellently.

Last Thursday, we went to a recent convert's house.  Her name is Zoe and she is eight years old.  Her mother is named Yessy.  Yessy was going to get baptized a while back, but she could never give up smoking, so she kind of gave up and stopped talking to the missionaries.  But this past Thursday we buckled down and testified like there was no tomorrow that God is a God of miracles (Mormon 9:19-21) and that He could heal her.  We gave her blessing on Saturday and she hasn't been smoking since.  We set the baptismal date for this Saturday and everything is going swimmingly.  I am a huge fan of miracles and have learned that the Lord really does provide miracles if we choose not to doubt even a little bit.  So I have given up on doubting.  It no longer exists for me. And I have seen amazing miracles so far from it.  We are gonna baptize!  Yessi is super excited to finally get there after already having given up.  But her faith has been renewed and now she is repenting.  Next stop: baptism.

Being a district leader is super fun, but all I have in my district are sisters. And after having spent such a good amount of time trying to have little to no communication with sisters, the Lord saw it fit to bless me with the opportunity to talk to them every single night over the phone.  They are an amazing district, though, so we're working really hard.  It's a whole new step of service and a completely different realm of missionary work.  Instead of just motivating people to get baptize, I now also get to motviate people to baptize.  I am having an excellent time working with them and our zone is full of wonderful people.  Being in a new area is always so exciting and gives a missionary the abilitly to leave any sort of bad habit aside that he used to take part in.  It always brings such energy! I am super jazzed!  We're gonna baptize!  I really love being here in Uruguay.  It is my home now.  I love everything about my life and am so glad thatI have so much time to continue to grow and learn.  The Lord is really blessing me.  I will continue to give my all.  I must now go and serve the beloved children of God.

LOVE,
Elder Plautz

No comments:

Post a Comment